The first recorded structure on our site was a Livery Stable, owned & operated by A.C. Hamilton, who came to Golden in 1892. Forced out of business by the opening of the Kicking Horse Trail, Hamilton went into the garage business in 1927. A fire devastated the business, and in 1932 work began on a new garage near the Golden Lodge, where Hamilton went on to become the agent for Chevrolet.
The next structure built on the site was the Yoho Theatre, which was originally owned by the Larue family, and opened on July 5th, 1950. The theatre changed hands in 1962, and was operated by the Zaharichuk family, who carried on the business until July 1969 when the Schaap family took over its running. A further change of hands in 1991 saw the construction of the Video Express rental store, as well as the modernisation & refurbishment of the newly renamed Golden Cinema.
Changing hands again in May 2007, both the Cinema & rental store are now in the hands of the Angus family, recently arrived in Golden, searching for a better quality of life in Kicking Horse Country.
During the fall of 2018 the majority of the floorspace occupied by the rental store was extensively extended upwards to accommodate a second, state of the art movie theatre. Featuring stadium seating, Dolby 7.1 surround sound to complement the original theatre, which was also renovated & re-seated.